Pages

background

Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Glimps into One of My Passions

I love to sew.  I learned early on that if a girl is going to get what she wants she has to nag like crazy.(jk)  I did however beg my mom to teach me to sew and she did.  If you were to hear my mom tell the story it would go something like this.  'She was begging to learn how to sew.  It was driving me crazy, so I thought I would teach her a lesson and she would give up and leave me alone until she got older. I told her how to follow the instructions, use the pattern pieces, cut them out and how to use the sewing machine, but she had to do it herself. I was not going to do it for her. To my surprise she made her very first project a gown for her little sister.' Now it might help you to know that I was somewhere around 5 or 6 years old at the time. This could explain why she wasn't too excited to teach me.  I loved it and it wasn't too long before I took over all the sewing projects.  I loved being with my mom and watching everything she was doing and I wanted to be a part of it.  We have enjoyed many sewing projects together, most of them being clothes for family, friends or as baby gifts.

Now I get to share this same love for sewing with Princess.  She started helping me when she was very young.  I don't even think she was 2 yet when she first started handing me pins and trying to pin fabric down.  Princess made her first project when she was 5, a skirt for herself.
I do want to learn more about sewing crafts and quilting as I don't have much experience in this area of sewing.

Here are some of my favorite past outfits.


Wow! How time flies.  It seems like just yesterday I was creating these special outfits for my babies.  I blink and they are growing up from babies, to toddlers, to children. It really brings home the meaning of James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." I am off to enjoy my vapour!

6 comments:

  1. Sweet! I have not made too many clothes (yet) but I love those ruffle-bottom ones! Do you experiment with designing your own or are you strictly a follow-the-instructions type of gal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just smiling...the story is too cute! My mom taught me too, but I was at least 10-11. =)

    As I look through your pictures, thinking that all the dresses are so beautiful, I'm reminded of my own dear daughter...and the last dress I bothered making her. I think it was for Christmas 4 or 5 years ago. It turned out so cute and it took a lot of work. I made her brother a coordinating outfit...just like your two kiddos. She whined, fussed and cried about having to wear it. She was miserable and I was miserable and that was the end of sewing clothes. =) After that, I started sewing bags and now I'm getting more into quilting.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all these pics...just seeing how the kids have grown. So sweet! Some of those outfits I forgot about and some I don't think I had seen before. Doesn't it make you feel so productive just seeing how much you've done!!

    Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, everything is beautiful! I love the princess dresses and matching outfits. Your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet! Lots of hard work and adorable outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, this post really touched my heart! You have made so many beautiful things. I remember seeing the Sleeping Beauty dress before. I am really enjoying reading your blog too. Thanks so much for linking up to my Birthday Party Celebration!

    ReplyDelete

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29